A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) is designed to show the energy performance of public buildings.
Public Sector organisations with buildings exceeding 250m2 that are frequently visited by the public are obliged to display a valid energy certificate and have an up to date Recommendation Report (RR). Failure to do so could result in penalties.
Here are some key factors to help get your first DEC (and RR) done accurately and efficiently.
- Confirm your building requires a DEC and/or RR under the regulations
– Is the building between 250m2 and 1000m2? if so, a DEC and RR is required every 10 years.
– If the building over 1000m2, then a DEC is required every year (and an RR every 7 years).
– Is the building occupied in whole or part by a public authority?
– As long as the building is also accessed by the public you need a DEC
– There is always the option of doing a voluntary DEC even if the above conditions aren’t met
- Confirmation to progress with the order in the form of a purchase order
- Gather utility bills from the previous year for Gas and Electric. You will also need documented consumption from heat pumps, solar panels and oil/biomass boilers if applicable
- Gather all the floor plans of the building and any other building that shares the same energy supplies.
- Supply contact details for a site visit if needed (we will let you know this, but generally first year of DEC and for RRs)
Learn more about the benefits of TEAM’s Display Energy Certificate Service.
Renewing a DEC can be very straightforward. Here are some tips to getting your DEC renewal done accurately and efficiently.
- In plenty of time to renew, provide confirmation with your assessor to progress with the order in the form of a purchase order
- Gather utility bills following on from the previous DEC for Gas and Electric. Plus documented consumption from heat pumps, solar panels and oil/biomass boilers if applicable
- Confirmation that you have not had any major work done such as building work or changes to the heating or lighting systems
By following these easy steps, an experienced and accredited Energy Assessor will complete the DEC and or Recommendation Report and provide a PDF and A3 laminated display format.
TEAM’s registered Energy Assessor help hundreds of organisations collate the data and produce Display Energy Certificates and Recommendation Reports to comply with legislation.
For more information about getting a Display Energy Certificate for your organisation, click here.