What is the Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme?
The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) was introduced in 2011 to support technologies that generate heat from renewable sources. These include biomass boilers, ground and air to water source heat pumps, solar thermal, and biogas boiler or combined heat and power (CHP) applications. Owners that install these systems will receive payments over a 20-year period for each kWh of heat generated according to a set of published tariffs.
The RHI scheme is now closed to new applications, however, our expert team can provide support if you are making changes to an existing scheme, selling your scheme on or have been audited by Ofgem.
Why do I need an Independent Report on Heat Metering Arrangements (IRMA)?
Applicants to the scheme must provide an Independent Report on Heat Metering Arrangements (IRMA) in all cases except ‘standard’ metering installations.
An independent report on metering arrangements can have the additional benefit of avoiding the cost of installing unnecessary heat meters. Getting your IRMA right the first time will reduce the possibility of time delays on gaining additional information or the rejection of the application.
The report can only be carried out by an unbiased and impartial engineer. Our experienced and qualified energy consultants will provide all the necessary support to ensure a comprehensive report is submitted to Ofgem.
How TEAM can help
With over 30 years’ experience in supporting organisations in meeting the requirements of energy schemes, our experts will:
- Attend a site visit to examine the physical installation
- Advise on whether the most appropriate meters have been specified
- Examine the system schematics to ensure metering is positioned correctly, and that an adequate number of meters have been specified
- Ensure that meters are fully MID Class 2 compliant
- Carry out any heat loss calculations for external pipes/ineligible loads. This calculation route can save substantial metering costs by establishing that pipework losses are within agreed limits
- Pull together all the necessary documentation and certificates including heating system schematics, boiler and heat meter schematics, photographs of heat meter(s) and temperature sensors, commissioning and calibration certificates
- Provide early advice to ensure a heat meter installation and strategy will be fully compliant with RHI requirements before or part-way through an installation
Request a free quote
Our non-domestic RHI services can help you benefit from the scheme, call 01908 690018 to find out more